Virginia State Bar - 1938 - Badge
The Bar Association of The District of Columbia - Badge
AILA - Badge
United States District Court - Eastern District of Virginia - Badge
United States Court of Appeals - for the Fourth Circuit - Badge
Fairfax Bar Association - Badge
Avvo Clients Choice 2013 - Immigration - Badge
Avvo Clients Choice 2013 - Divorce - Badge
Avvo Clients Choice 2013 - Criminal Defense - Badge
Avvo Top Contributor 2015 - Immigration - Badge
Avvo Top Contributor 2015 - Divorce - Badge
Avvo Top Contributor 2015 - Criminal Defense - Badge
Expertise Badge

Divorce From Spouse Residing in Russia

Is it possible to obtain a divorce from a spouse who resides in Russia and whose whereabouts there are unknown? The simple answer to this question is “yes”, it is possible. However, there are certain requirements that must be satisfied before you can file for divorce. To begin with, if you intend to get divorced in Virginia, you must satisfy the jurisdictional requirements to sue for divorce in the Virginia courts. Thus, you must be a bona fide resident of Virginia for at least six months prior to filing of your complaint for divorce. Normally, you can satisfy this requirement by showing that you have paid taxes in Virginia, had your car registered in Virginia, or have been registered to vote in Virginia.

Next, before you can file for divorce, you must be separated from your spouse for a period of six months or more, provided you and your spouse had previously entered into a separation agreement and there are no minor children born to the parties. If you have children that are younger than age 18, then the separation period must be extended to at least one year.

If all of the above requirements are satisfied, then you are ready to meet with an attorney to file your complaint for divorce. The complaint for divorce must be accompanied by an Affidavit for Service by Publication, signed by you, and Order of Publication (both of these documents are normally prepared by an attorney). The Affidavit is required in order to show that you do not know your spouse’s whereabouts and, therefore, are entitled to notify him or her about the divorce proceedings by publishing the notice in one of the local newspapers. If the court is satisfied with the testimony in the Affidavit, the Clerk of the Court will then sign the Order of Publication, ordering the publication of the notice.

In about four to six weeks, you will have to meet again with your attorney for a deposition, during which you and your corroborating witness must testify, among other things, as to your Virginia residency status, the age of your children, if you have any, the period of separation, and etc. This testimony will be transcribed by a court reporter and subsequently used to obtain a final decree of divorce.

Back to NEWS

Client Reviews

Great understanding of my situation, very responsible and detail oriented. I could highly recommend Kublan Khan PLC - I don’t think they have any competition here in Falls Church area.

- Ivo Koytchev

Because of him I saved time, money and my nerves and we reached an agreement with my x. I highly recommend Andrei to all my friends with any complicated case they might have.

- Tina Hassan

Mr. Kublan has my absolute highest rating, this time on my divorce. I have no spousal support payments, no payments in arrears (I stopped paying support 6 months ago), no health insurance payments, no retirement benefits...

- Rick Dunbar

Having been represented before by several attorneys in the area, I've experienced the best service and results with Kublan&Austin. Great professionalism, attentive and knowledgeable staff. Always kept me informed. I...

- Alexandra Xela

I usually don’t take the time to post stuff like this but upon reflecting on my experience with Andrei Kublan and his firm I felt it necessary. Divorce is not a pretty thing and having an attorney represent you that...

- Maha Kandil

I am very grateful to have found Andrei Kublan when I did: at the point of re-litigating child custody. Mr. Kublan works for the result. He knows how to build a case, how to collect the evidence, how to argue, and how to...

- Nadia Ciuha

Committed to Successfully Resolving Your Legal Problems

Fill out the contact form or call us at (703) 854-1081 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message